

Last night we had the chance to go learn more about the Bejing Olympics with our friend Lindsey Anderson. She is my sister-in-law's sister-in-law and we've gotten to know her a bit over the past year or so (Joey has known her husband for years). Anyway, she had a bunch of people over at her house last night to talk about her experience at the Olympics and share pictures and stories and memorabilia, etc. She is a runner and raced in the 3000 m Steeplechase. Unfortunately she didn't qualify for the finals (so no medal) but her claim to fame is running in the first heat of the first ever Steeplechase in the Olympics (as it was a new event this year). It's where you run around the track (like 8 times or something) and there are several hurdles/barriers that you have to jump over--one of them has a huge puddle of water that you jump into (so apparently there is a little element of danger that you might slip in the water--then your shoes are wet for the whole race). Anyway, pretty cool. (p.s. anyone else besides me want those abs?)
It was just cool to learn about and see where the athletes stayed. She said they built the Olympic Village just for these Olympics so they were brand new but the beds were so hard and uncomfortable but that that's how they like it over there. Something I thought was interesting was that it was so crowded during the Olympics so the government only allowed Chinese residents there to drive on odd numbered days if your license plate ended in an odd number, and even days if it ended in an even number. She said that the Chinese government had bodyguards that followed them around everywhere, which was kind of interesting/weird. So we learned all kinds of cool stuff and it was fun to have someone on the "inside" to tell us all about it. And we're really proud of Lindsey and her amazing accomplishment of just having the opportunity to go to the Olympics! I just love the Olympics and I almost got a little teary when they extinguished the flame last night.
7 comments:
That is SO cool! I would love to know someome that had gone to the Olympics, and YES who wouldn't want those unbelievable abs?! LOL
That is amazing! It definately makes me jealous! The other day I ventured out with my kids for a "jog" but Isaac informed me that I pretty much walked the whole way. Oh, well what's a Mom to do? What I wouldn't give for 1/100th of her athleticism!
That is so cool...and yes I'm extremely jealous of those abs! What a fun experience for you to talk w/her. I was hooked this year on the olympics and yeah, I'm kind of sad it's over:(
Jealous of her abs? I'm jealous of her whole freakin' body! My hubbie runs miles every week. He's even ran a marathon before. I used to run 5Ks, but that was the extent of my running and that was years ago. I need to pick it up again. I'm in such horrible shape. BTW, I'm for sure not going to the class reunion. My blog explains it more. Have you decided if you are going or not?
Nat, you aren't fooling any of us. I'm sure your spin teacher body is just as good as this girl! That is so cool that you got to meet an actual olympian and listen to her stories. I was also hooked on the games, they were so good this time.
Nat! that is totally my dad's cousin, or cousin-in-law, or something. he was just telling us all about her, random!
What an awesome experience! That's cool you got the inside scoop. And speaking of random cousin connections-- I just found out your cousin (Danielle) is married to my cousin's (Mike Forsyth) cousin (Stuart). Did you follow that ok?
Post a Comment