Thursday, September 25, 2008

My New Addiction


This may sound a bit nerdy, but something I just started and absolutely love is to index for Family Search Indexing.  My cousin Danielle told me about it a while ago and said she liked it but it has taken me a while to figure it out.  Anyway, it's for the church and genealogy/family history stuff and you look at old Census, Death Records, Military Records, etc that are imaged on the computer and you decipher the info and type it in data-entry-style.  Boring you say?  No!  Not to me at least.  I love it!  It is so interesting to try and figure out names and see their ages (come up with stories of why 56 year old man is married to a 27 y.o woman), see their occupations (farm laborer, keep house, domestic servant, cooper, etc), see where they were born (cool to see immigrants--I'm doing the NY state census right now), how much their house is worth, etc.  I have been doing it late into the night for 3 days now--I'm totally addicted to it!  It really is cool.  I kind of feel like a detective and feel connected to the past.  It's challenging and worthwhile and I think everyone should try it.  Plus now I can quit feeling guilty for not doing family history next time they talk about it in church.  Cause I sort of am helping in the effort.  Anyway, go to FamilySearchIndexing.org and click on Volunteer if you are interested.  Just kind of follow the steps from there.  Make sure you go through the tutorial though.  I started without doing that (duh) and messed up a bit.  Hope some of you try it!

4 comments:

Michelle said...

That actually sounds really interesting. I love learning about those that came before me. I don't think your a nerd at all!

Jer + Lu said...

Way to go Nat! I think it fits your personality-- you little detective! Maybe mine too. I'll have to give it a try. We were always into the random volunteer activities, right?

Danielle and Fam said...

I need to start that again, I haven't done it since I switched computers. It gets addicting huh??? I could spend all night doing it... I have before!

Roseann said...

I've been doing some, too. Its fun to feel like I'm doing some good during your my free time.