Sunday, September 11, 2011

How We Spent 9/11

 We had a neat day today.
Joey had to work so I took the kids to see the 
"Healing Fields" in Sandy.

 There was a flag for every person who died in 9/11.
It was really moving to see them all lined up like that
and it was a great visual for my kids to 
try to understand what happened 10 years ago.
It was the first time I had tried explained to them 
what happened that day.

I felt very patriotic & it caused me to reflect a lot.
 Joey & I were attending BYU-Hawaii on Sept 11, 2001.
My mom called & woke us up around 6am Hawaii time
to let us know what happened.
We didn't have a tv, radio, anything so in our sleepy stupor we
didn't quite grasp the magnitude of the terror.
It wasn't til a few hours later when we went to
school & saw on the big tv at the Aloha Student Center
what had happened.
I had a Psychology class at 9am and our professor
actually skipped lecture and facilitated basically a group
therapy session.
Then the school had an "emergency devotional/assembly" (whatever you want to call it) in the big gymnasium/stadium.
There was singing and words of comfort from our leaders.
That's mostly all I remember of that day.
But I'm grateful to have these wonderful kids now
and the chance to talk to them about what I value
& believe about our country.
I hope nothing like that happens on our soil again
and that this country can be a safe, free place for my 
children to grow up in!
And I'm grateful to those who make it that way!


On a more light-hearted note:
September 11 also happens to be the day we moved into
our new house. 
So today was our 1-year anniversary of living in our home.
So we called it our "house's birthday" and had a little party.
Somehow the kids convinced my brother, sister, & dad to come over.
They are such good sports.
We made everyone play "pin the door on the house"
 We played "Find-the-horse" 
(which is a knock-off of a game my mom made up for the kids years ago one Christmas Eve where she hid her many sheep from her sheep collection & the kids had to find them-"Find-the-Sheep"
--we're pretty creative in this family ;)

And we made "Stinkerdoodles"
My kids choice instead of a cake.
They are my kids favorite cookie. 
Sav sometime has a hard
time saying words and that's how she said Snickerdoodle--
"Stinkerdoodle" has just stuck!

3 comments:

Richard said...

Grandma Longhair says: ...and I enjoyed the Stinkerdoodles you sent down to me!! Wish I could have been at the party to play those great games. Congratulations on being in your own home. I love you so much and I love your blog!!

JR and Brynn said...

Oh, I love all the fun things you guys do! What a great outing for the kids to learn about 9/11. Love all your cute pictures too. Hope you guys are doing well!!

Jer + Lu said...

Have you really been there a whole year?! I still need to come see the place!