Get ready for a long, stupid story:
We call this store "little carts" because they have child-size shopping carts that my girls love. I rather hate it because they bump into things... displays, walls, me. But we'll just be quick so for some reason I carry my baby in my arms (I have NEVER done this but decide to today) and let the kids each push a cart. They argue over each item who gets to have it in their cart and fight over not wanting the recyclable bags in their cart... then after I tell them they HAVE to have the bags in their cart cause I'm not carrying them... they fight over who gets the green one and who gets the red. :)
We finally get everything we need and head to the register. Only 2 lanes open and about 10 carts. So it takes forever but it's okay. Girls are good helpers and load everything on the belt. I go to pay... no wallet!!!! I then remember that I took it out yesterday (again something I NEVER do) and put it in my church bag because we were going to my nephew's farewell and I didn't want to carry my church bag and purse but I had to drive (Joey was at work). Obviously I forgot to put it back. Crap...what do I do now? I remember I have a checkbook in my car.... saved. (Remember there are 4 people with carts behind me). I apologize, I tell girls to stay off to the side,then I run with babe-in-arms to the parking lot. Get checkbook. Come back thinking they're all waiting for me. He had suspended my order and started on the next one. That's okay. But I wait. And wait. Finally he gets me back in there. I give him my check and then he has to call someone for approval because they are my old checks with my old address scratched out and my new one written in. Manager comes over and doesn't like that either. Ask me to write check again and just leave old address there. Fine... whatever. I do that. Manager leaves. Then, checker asks me if he can see my ID. No... it's in my stupid wallet! Oh... I have to call manager back. (mind you... still annoyed people behind me... I remember what a motley looking crew we are.. and the check is only for $31). Manager walks super slow back. We are about to cancel order and I'll just come back later (or preferable never) but she says to come to customer service and she'll help me. She was super nice and eventually got it all worked out after a long embarassing time.
So I can't get out of there fast enough. Customer service on opposite side of parking lot from where we parked so we have to walk long ways to our car. Kids have to push little carts because I'm carrying Walker (oh yeah, try filling out check with grabby baby in your arms and no where to set him... that part was fun too and added to the stupidity of the situation). I'm trying to keep kids out of way of on coming cars... we make it to our car finally. Load up.. kids need to take carts back to cart stands. As soon as they head off every car around us decides to leave or every incoming car decides they need to park in the empty spots right by us (we're at super Smith's Marketplace... there are a million spots in the huge lot). I yell at kids to stay where they are but of course they dart in front of a car. She was sort of aware of them but was ticked I could tell. So was I.
Anyway, last time I go to kids with store (I wish) and last time I take my wallet out of my purse.
If there is an upside to the story... my favorite popcorn was on sale so I stocked up (pop secret homestyle--yum)! Better go eat some now to calm my nerves ;)
6 comments:
You crack me up! If it makes you feel better we mothers have all been there. Well I have, and unfortunately had no checkbook in the car. If I was behind you I would have just paid your bill. (even if I didn't know you) Just to give you a little peace! ;)
HA!!!!! I am soooo glad you wrote this down. This will bring you so many laughs in the future. Hilarious. I can't wait until I have days like this....yikes!
Yep, I remember days like that when You were the annoying, fighting sister in the grocery store!! I'm sorry you had such a rough day, but I'm glad you shared the story. And, Becca, you are so nice! What a nice thought that you would have paid for someone struggling that much!!
Oh yes, fun times at the grocery store. We have those days too -so don't worry you are not alone! Glad you survived and at least you got your yummy popcorn out of the deal.
My kids like to fight over sitting in the huge carts with a car on the front, but they usually end of fighting 5 min. into the store or Sarah likes to get out and walk "helping" me by putting everything she can reach into the cart.
oh man Nat, what a day! I feel you, too, because I took my wallet out of my purse the other day and put it in a grocery bag (long story), and I STILL can't find it! Nobody has used my cards, so I know it isn't stolen. I'm just a space case! and I'm glad I'm not the only one. :) love ya!
Yikes! What a rough day! Every time I take my kids to the grocery store I swear to myself I'll never do it again! Pure torture!!
Post a Comment